Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: altec 8551a on Epay

  1. #1
    Inactive Member hmole's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2005
    Posts
    130
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Not mine, 14hrs started at at 1c useful I am sure if you have the software and knowhow.

    Listing" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-LANSING-28...QQcmdZViewItemListing</a>

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    altec 8551a on Epay


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Some cautions-

    These were not made by Altec.

    The maker, Micro Audio, is now defunct.

    You must have the software- I think Todd said a while back he has it.

    They don't communicate RS 232 they need an adapter to RS 422 serial.

    They aren't friendly to "on the fly changes" they are set up for permanent installs.

    There were 2 at a local music store for %50 each, I let them pass. I'd recommend 8553's instead.

    BTW, there are 4 matched 1612A compressors that just came into the same store, at $75 each if anybody needs them. There were 6 altogether but I bought 2.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    All of the Altec programmable equalizers were built by MicroAudio. Gene, the designer, is still around, and, at last check, still repairs them.

    The 8551A had MicroAudio's filter characteristics, whereas the "B" version were made to Altec's specifications. Seems like the Altec version had variable-Q filters, if memory serves.

    I like these units, and installed LOTS of them. Many are still in service.

    I do have the software for operating them...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.